Start Me Up Legal Conference
Formation, Operational, and Exit Strategies for Innovators
According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, more than half of all startups fail within the first five years. Why do so many fail? Arguably the most overlooked factor is a lack of legal guidance. Our panel of experts is here to help with a program specifically tailored to the needs of budding entrepreneurs. Learn how to plan, start, build, and maintain a lean startup like a pro!
Questions and topics that will be addressed:
- What type of entity should I form?
- What kind of governing agreements do I need?
- How do I protect my entity's intellectual property?
- How do I protect myself in the event of death, disability or departure of a co-founder?
- How do I incentivize employees?
- What are my tax obligations as a business owner?
- Should I have an employment agreement?
- When and how do I register a trademark or copyright, or file for a patent?
- Do I need a lawyer to review contracts before I sign them?
- What do angel and VC investors look for?
- What laws do I need to comply with to take in investment funds?
- How can I prepare for an exit event?
Brad McNamara, Freight Farms, Inc.
FORMATION AND FINANCING
AiVi Nguyen, Bowditch & Dewey LLP (moderator)
Julie O'Neill, Bowditch & Dewey LLP
Matthew Morris, Bowditch & Dewey LLP
Jeffrey Parker, GrandBanks Capital
Aaron Birt, Solvus Global
Giselle Rivera-Flores, The Learning Hub (moderator)
Brian Mullin, Bowditch & Dewey LLP
Stacy Chin, HydroGlyde Coatings, LLC
David Crouch, ten24
Joe Vignaly, Business Strategy Consulting Partners (moderator)
George Tetler, Bowditch & Dewey LLP
Donna Levin, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
John Joseph, Datanomix
Date and Time
Wednesday Mar 27, 2019
4:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT
4:00pm - 6:00pm, followed by networking
AC Marriott Parking: Worcester Common Parking Garage entrance location on Trumbull Street. Parking is located under hotel.
125 Front Street
Worcester, MA 01608
Parking: Worcester Common Parking Garage entrance location on Trumbull Street. Parking is located under hotel.
Free for members, $25 for nonmembers
Advance registration required. Register by March 25.